Home Suggestions & Bug Reports
This forum is intended for MultCloud Support Discussion. Please post/inquire on existing discussions if they exist.

[Suggestion] Move Sync Delete Files Only Instead of Files and Folders

Hi,

I have a suggestion for move sync to only move and delete the moved files without deleting the folders. 

Here's an issue occurred when Move Sync delete the moved folder (I tried this using Google Drive):
1. The user created a folder, let's call it FolderA
2. The user initiated files upload to FolderA
3. Move Sync triggered by schedule (and the user is still uploading files to FolderA)
4. Move Sync finished and FolderA gets deleted while the user is still uploading to FolderA
5. Files upload finished, but FolderA is already in trash and the files that just finished uploading to FolderA also in trash and never moved.

Hope you consider this suggestion and issue because it's very annoying to lost the data. 

Thanks

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Here's an issue occurred when Move Sync delete the moved folder (I tried this using Google Drive):
    1. The user created a folder, let's call it FolderA
    2. The user initiated files upload to FolderA
    3. Move Sync triggered by schedule (and the user is still uploading files to FolderA)
    4. Move Sync finished and FolderA gets deleted while the user is still uploading to FolderA
    5. Files upload finished, but FolderA is already in trash and the files that just finished uploading to FolderA also in trash and never moved.
  • @ReynHartono, thank you for your suggestion. Did you mean you were using the "Move Sync" feature? When the task was running, did you also upload files to that folder? What's the source and target folder? For the "Move Sync", no matter how many times you run this task, MultCloud will delete all files under the source folder after they are synced to the target folder but the original folder still exists.
  • Did you mean you were using the "Move Sync" feature?
    > Yes, I was using Move Sync feature. 

When the task was running, did you also upload files to that folder?
    > Yes

What's the source and target folder?
    > the source is UploadHere and target folder is DriveAngkatan (now I changed it to incremental backup because of this issue)

For the "Move Sync", no matter how many times you run this task, MultCloud will delete all files under the source folder after they are synced to the target folder but the original folder still exists.
    > The folders IN the source is also deleted and I was still uploading to the folder inside the source folder while the sync is running. 
  • @ReynHartono, we tested it several times yesterday and the source folder still existed after all the files under it were synced to the target folder. So please create a brand new sync task to confirm if the problem persists. For better analyzing, maybe you can send a video to us so our developers can analyze it.

• I think there's a misunderstanding here. Please let me know where I can send the video. I tried to send the video to support email ([email protected]), but I got the message "552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit". 
  • Never mind, I managed to upload the video to Youtube and sent you the link via support email ([email protected]). Please be noted that I was unable to post the link or upload the video here due to privacy reason.
  • @ReyhHartono, ok, the support team will reply to you asap.
  • @ReyhHartono, after watching the video you sent, we found the problem. Thank you so much for sending the video to us so we can analyze and optimize this problem and our developers will optimize this problem asap. However, as "Move Sync" is not the "Real-Time Sync", so when MultCloud is running the tasks, you'd better not change anything under the official website.
  • @AomeiMultcloud, please refresh the target location to confirm if the 20MB files is already synced to the target location.

• However, as "Move Sync" is not the "Real-Time Sync", so when MultCloud is running the tasks, you'd better not change anything under the official website.
    > Yes I know it's not Real-Time Sync, but the problem occurred when it's running scheduled move sync. 

And sorry, I forgot to show you the target directory after the 20MB gets deleted. So, here is the screenshot. The 20MB file never moved to TargetDir.

• @ReynHartono, thank you for your reply. Our developers will try their best to optimize it.
  • Thanks! Please fix this issue ASAP because this issue is concerning users' data. 

As I said before, my solution is by not deleting the folders after Move Sync, and for users who wanted the folder deletion, they can opt for it (and give them the warning that this issue might occur).
  • @Reyhartono, I already reported this problem to the Development Development. Hope this problem can be fixed asap.
  • Any update on this issue?
  • @ReynHartono, the source directory you created is xxx/SourceDir in the task and the FolderA is under SourceDir/FolderA. So after doing the sync, Folder A is deleted. For the "Move Sync", the Its definition is "Once the synchronization is completed, all the files in the source directory will be deleted. So the real problem is MultCloud does not sync the 20MB file to the destination and it's deleted by MultCloud. For this problem, it's  hard for our developer to resolve it. Because when the task is complete, the 20 MB file is still uploading. For this problem, we will optimize the interface to give more tips to the user.