Home Suggestions & Bug Reports
This forum is intended for MultCloud Support Discussion. Please post/inquire on existing discussions if they exist.

Thoughts on MultCloud's Bittorrent service

To begin with praise: Multcloud seems to be the only thing on the entire internet offering partial torrent remote download, including for free - that is to be commended. Dedicated services like Seedr have promised as much for months and years and not delivered...

However there are issues with Multcloud's Bittorrent service that if fixed would make the Bittorrent service better, some of which are:

- Consistency: it would not parse any magnet links for some hours today

- Download of a large torrent in one go a seeming impossibility (workaround is to incrementally download through smaller selection but this is inconvenient)

- Recently, partial downloads being erroneously deemed "Success" when only, say, 10% downloaded, then on retry (are the partial downloads cached/stored?), same error repeats. And this error is then counted against bandwidth limit incorrectly, even though the file is not properly all there. (May be the correct size but actual content not within).

- Where there is a torrent comprised of many files, and you are able to download part of it, or some of them, you should be able to get that partial amount of data, or partial number of files, to your cloud, upon 'failure', rather than end up with nothing because the download has not entirely completed. It may be the case that none of the selected files are complete in an overall incomplete scenario, but it could be configured to prioritize downloading entire files, which would mean the user at least gets some complete files from an overall incomplete try.

- As others have said, the dialog box displaying torrents contents is unhelpfully unalterably narrow and nor is there a way to even see the full string of the filenames on mouseover to distinguish what they are

- It handles magnet links fine, when it is functioning, but when you put a .torrent file link into it, surely it should automatically download the thing(s) that the torrent file relates to, not just download the torrent file itself. For the user to then have to download it locally and then upload it back into the service to start download is an unautomated hassle and illogical.

- The dreaded "Low Resource" message, i.e. download probably going to be stuck and fail totally - even though there are sufficient seeders as other services somehow manage to reach the torrent with a seeder number that is low, yes, but sufficient as not zero. Don't know what its ratio is set at but seems it needs to be strengthened to be fine with low-seeded torrents like other software is.

P.S. Every attempt at downloading a torrent today, any torrent, staying stuck at 0.00%

Comments

• Hi @Stranger,

Thank you for contacting MultCloud. I just finished reading your post and appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with us.

I am sorry you are experiencing trouble with using torrent links. We would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the partial downloads from using the remote URL download feature. I totally understand it may have not get your task done. I will be glad to help.

I completely understand how valuable your time is. So, I want to make sure we address this in the best and most attentive possible way. Having said that, I will share your experience with the development team of Multcloud for their review.

I would suggest checking how much quota do you have remaining because this service might not download large files over the quota limit.

We are going to check the low resource message from our side, if you can provide the link and we can investigate the torrent further.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
    Jnsystems.
  • edited May 2021
    Edit: torrents appear to be sort of working again now - they were not at all when I wrote this reply earlier - but still with incomplete torrents being marked as "Success"...

As for the quota, none of the download attempts were anywhere near exceeding that limit so it definitely has nothing to do with that.
  • edited May 2021
    Hi @Stranger,

Thank you for contacting MultCloud. I just finished reading your post and appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with us.

I completely understand how valuable your time is. So, I want to make sure we address this in the best and most attentive possible way.

We are glad to hear the torrent system is working as needed, but if incomplete torrents are marked as success, I can try to reproduce the issue on my side, and if so, This issue will be submitted to the development team.

As a temporary workaround, please DM me the torrent file/magnet on this forum you wish to be transferred to your cloud so we can finish the task.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
    Jnsystems.